Lizzard Loves Blue Sky Snow Covered Vail

Monday, January 11, 2016

Winter, especially the cozy parts

 Lizzard Loves winter (you knew this already) but especially the cozy parts of winter.

We went on a beautiful snowy walk Sunday afternoon with Willa the dog. The trees were all shimmery/sparkly because the gross rain finally froze and turned into snow. The beauty of the woods almost made up for the utter nastiness of rain in the winter.




We were cold when we got home and had plans to work (Chris) and finish Christmas thank you cards (me). It seemed like the perfect opportunity to bust out the peppermint hot chocolate my sister put in our stocking this year! Honestly, it was one of the best cups of hot chocolate I've ever had. The line from the Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg ran through my mind more than once while enjoying it; "We drank hot cocoa as thick and rich as melted chocolate bars." I topped each mug with a marshmallow and dunked a candy cane in each one for good measure.






While enjoying the hot chocolate, we had our lighted wreath plugged in - calling attention to the festive Christmas cards on the wall. We also lit our pine scented candle to up the Christmas-y ante even more. For me anyway, winter coziness is almost akin to Christmas-y. I am not alone in this feeling, in fact, Norwegians have a word for it; koselig. This article in Fast Company is a great read for more ways to love winter; maybe I am secretly part Norwegian? My favorite passage from the article is near the end when they discuss the concept of koselig: "It’s like the best parts of Christmas, without all the stress. People light candles, light fires, drink warm beverages, and sit under fuzzy blankets."

I am not among those who love to bitch and moan about winter.

 I love it. 
I love how the biting cold hits my face, it makes me feel a tad bit more alive. I love tilting my head all the way back and looking up into the sky as the snow falls down - it is a beautiful way to watch snow fall (though - you will get a neckache if you stand that way too long :). I love bundling up for a walk, or a skate on my brother & sister in law's backyard rink. I love cross country skiing near home and far away too. I love downhill skiing, especially in Colorado, but here in the Midwest too (I will never be too good for the Midwest skiing that made me fall in love with the sport). Though I've mentioned it before; it bears repeating: I love the coziness.; fires in the fireplace, hot mulled wine, hot cocoa, soft blankets and people I love. 
These are the makings of a wonderful winter!
First batch of Christmas cards
A Happy New Year to us! We are
thankful for all the family & friends
who sent us cards this Christmas season!
I would love to hear what your love about winter!
Tell me in the comments if the mood strikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment