Lizzard Loves Blue Sky Snow Covered Vail

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Oatmeal Cherry Coconut Cookies - New Recipe

Lizzard Loves cookies. 
Oatmeal Cherry Coconut Cookies. Thanks sissy for the idea!

No one is surprised by this.

Lizzard Loves when people suggest a recipe to try - or a recipe to try to replicate! My sister did just that this week, she had a wonderful cookie at a bakery near her home in Colorado and texted me to inform me I should try to copy it :)

Always glad to oblige!

I found this recipe online - a quick Google search yielded a perfectly good place to start my quest for a delicious copycat cookie.

Here's the recipe I came up with - slightly crunchy on the edges, soft in the middle, great contrast of sweet & salty, good texture from the mix ins, really just a solid cookie all the way around it! I am quite happy with the results - the true test will be when my sister tries it!

Oatmeal Cherry Coconut Cookies
Yield: approximately 2 dozen smallish cookies
(double this recipe - you won't be sad you did)

Ingredients
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teasppon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup dried cherries
3/4 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) - at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar - packed
1/8 cup coconut sugar (granulated white sugar is perfectly fine - you'll just have a slightly sweeter cookie)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
Sea salt for sprinkling (Kosher salt or any flaky/chunky salt will do!)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt & oats in a medium bowl (or a large one if you are doubling the recipe). Set aside.
3. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or with a hand mixer, or by hand if you are Hercules ;) cream the butter with both sugars. Don't rush it- it takes a few minutes.
4. Add the egg & both extracts. Beat on medium speed to fully incorporate.
5. With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredient mix you made in step 2. Mix until just incorporated (if you overmix your dough - the cookies' texture is not as delectably tender - they end up tougher. I like my girls tough - not my cookies!)
6. Keeping the mixer on low- add the dried cherries & coconut. See above about overmixing! It'll only take a few rotations to get the ingredients incorporated.
7. Using your favorite mini scoop (or your hands, or a spoon) - ball the dough & put it on parchment lined baking sheets.
8. Sprinkle the tops with kosher salt, sea salt, flaky/chunky salt of any kind. (this step is technically optional - but the slight crunch & the contrast of the sweet & salt makes it 100% worth it).
9. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are slightly golden.
10. Cool on the baking sheets for slightly firmer cookies, cool on a rack for slightly chewier cookies (I go chewier every time)

I hope you enjoy these as much I did! They were a lovely addition to my afternoon cup of tea :) Please feel free to suggest new recipes for me to try to copy! I'm always game for a challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment