Lizzard Loves Blue Sky Snow Covered Vail

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Friday Round Up 5/18/18

We've had a smashing week! Particularly when compared with last week which included an ear infection, high fever, ER visit & hospital stay...........doesn't take much to top that!

1. My first night away from Lulu bug
This technically happened a couple weeks ago - but things got sidetracked by the illnesses last week! Chris & Lulu had their first Daddy/Daughter weekend while I drove to Columbus, OH to visit college friends. I am happy to report that no tears were shed on my part! I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of emotions given I've spent much of Lulu's life with her so far. Thankfully I had a wonderful time with 2 women who I don't see nearly enough and Chris & Lulu had a great time at home.
Chris & Lulu & Owenn had lots of walks

Plus some solid ball pit time :)


2. Which was also a great friend's bridal shower
This photo doesn't do justice to the "bride" crown provided!
The night away referenced above was to celebrate my college roommate's bridal shower! Congratulations Kater, you deserve all the happiness this world has to offer. I am so excited for August to stand by your side when you & Steve say "I do". 
Ahhhhh there is the "bride" crown!
Another college friend, Jocie & her mom threw the beautiful party for Katie (which I was sadly remiss in photographing). Why does life conspire to make it so hard to see the people you love who don't live in your metro area?!? It was such a treat to be with these 2 celebrating Katie, hanging out, catching up. There is talk of a visit to me during the summer.....my fingers are crossed!
Jocie's cutie pie little girl Ruby joined the festivites, which only made them better


3. Bulbs just.keep.coming!
Now we are seeing our giant alliums start to bloom! Admittedly I did some pretty poor placement on these.....giant is in the name. Where did Chris & I plant them? Mostly smack in the front of our garden bed! 
Yeah, these are tall, Right up front. Real tall. Poor planning!
Holy cow, we must've been tired of planting bulbs when we got to the front bed last year. Thankfully a gardener neighbor told me once the plants are done flowering, we can move them to the back! Gardening is one of those hobbies that has an awful lot to teach me about patience and planning and delayed gratification. I have A LOT to learn in all 3 categories.....

4. My chives came back
I never imagined these would come back after spending the winter outdoors in a pot!
Hooray! They are back! They are about to bloom! I think things in the allium family are abundantly beautiful and somewhat inconceivable - how does that stem hold up such a large flower?!? See this post from years ago on my love of the "Crazy Purple Flowers"
Up close with one of the giant alliums in the front yard


5. Southern Gothic at Windy City Playhouse

Chris & I went to see the play called Southern Gothic at a theater we'd never been to on the northside of the city called Windy City Playhouse. It was such a fun night out. You likely know that we don't necessarily get out that much and when we do, its not typically for theater. We LOVED this show. Read more & buy tickets at the link above, but the short version is the creators of this piece built a single story house circa 1960's inside the theater. As a ticket holder, you enter the house as a fly on the wall to watch the action unfold over the course of a 90 minute birthday dinner party. The house itself was unreal, full kitchen, bathroom, living room, dining room, front porch and back patio. You are offered some sample cocktails & can nibble on snacks throughout the show. It was a great play and a compelling format. Chris & I agreed that we could go see it again since there is no way to watch all the action unfold as a handful of story lines are playing out simultaneously around the house. The run has been extended into early December - it is so worth checking out!!

6. Lincoln Park Zoo on 60 Minutes
I am a self described zoo nerd & I so value the time I spend volunteering at the Lincoln Park Zoo. I was excited & proud to see them prominently featured on 60 Minutes, you can watch the clip (& some annoying ads, sorry) here . 

7. My nephew's 1st Holy Communion

I started nannying my biggest little nephew, Liam, when he was the ripe old age of 4 months. I continued taking care of him & the siblings that followed, until Liam was almost 6. 

Last Saturday Liam made his 1st Holy Communion! As much as I struggle with some of the policies the Catholic Church upholds, I still believe in the power of faith & faith tradition including the sacraments. Such a grown up little man Liam is turning into! 

Lulu wasn't fever free long enough to come to church & be near so many people so Chris & Lulu stayed home. My heart was full as I watched the celebration unfold.



No comments:

Post a Comment