Lizzard Loves Blue Sky Snow Covered Vail

Friday, June 1, 2018

Friday Recap 6/1/18- Memorial Day, Chris' Birthday, Gardening, Backyard Bath

Memorial Day weekend was a great way to kick off this week - particularly because Chris got a half day at work, so was home by 1pm!! Summertime, we are READY for you!

1. First visit to the Lake for the summer

It was a busy fall & not a terribly snowy winter, so we had gone many months without going up to the Lake. Which is a bummer since we love spending time at my family's home there.

It was great to be back, the weather was in the 90s and pretty sunny for our visit. We worked hard on getting the deck set up, everything swept, getting organized, etc.

There is a fair bit of work that needs to be done when no one lives in a house full time.

We had delicious meals, so much time outside & the satisfaction of checking a few things off the to do list!

We also seem to have avoided the stomach bug that is ravaging our family, which we are eternally grateful for!


2. Memorial Day backyard hang



We were so happy to have been included in our friends' backyard grill out for Memorial Day! We left the lake early to 1. avoid the stomach bug germs & 2. go to Lulu's swim lesson......so we were home on actual Memorial Day, which we typically aren't....because of our love of a long weekend at the Lake.
But we also adore being home! We rode bikes to our friends' house & had a fantastically summery evening of watermelon, playing in the sprinkler, burgers, corn & fun with neighbors.

3. Early morning blogging

So lemons into lemonade - I did last week's Friday round up this week on Tuesday..........which admittedly felt like Monday because of the long weekend - but still - Tuesday is 4 days past Friday....oops! Lemon = 4 days late, lemonade = a beautiful morning to blog in the backyard! Coffee, computer, early morning sunshine. What a delightful combo.

4. Early morning gardening
The Mother's Day clematis is blooming!
Coffee, early morning sunshine, & gardening. Another truly delightful combo I got to enjoy this week. I bought 1 each of tomato, strawberry, spearmint & lemon balm plants on Memorial Day Monday (along with 16 bags of mulch....12 of which I spread.....still more to do) and got to plant them in their pots on Tuesday morning. 
I had a helper in the garden
There is something so relaxing about digging in the dirt & caring for plants. I don't know what it is exactly - but I have grown to love gardening in the last few years. I suppose there is a big part of my personality that is a caretaker. I like taking care of people, details, food, and so on....plants also need to be taken care of! I love the process of getting the pots ready and adding compost to the soil, fertilizing, mulching, and watering the little plants and then waiting & watching to see them grow! I'm still a super newbie - but each thing I try I learn something, so that's good!
Part of the fun of gardening is getting totally messy

 I still haven't tried to grow anything from seed - I buy seedlings from the store or farmer's market......would love to hear about your experiences growing from seed! I am intimidated by it for whatever reason.
Some of my mulch work
5. Chris' Birthday
Hooray for my love's special day yesterday! I am quite grateful to have a partner who I trust so much, have such fun with, and can be confident parenting with. It's bonkers that this is the 10th birthday I've celebrated with my love! There were cupcakes, delicious pizza takeout, even more delicious beer (which we drank in our front yard - we moved our adirondack chairs to the front since they were virtually never used in the back!), cards from family, gifts & dinner together just the 3 of us. I hope my love enjoyed his day- though the celebrating will continue this weekend when we visit my sister & her family and started last weekend at the Lake! Here's to birthday celebrations that last more than a day!

6. Backyard bathtub
This is why you always need a random, empty storage bin in the basement!
 Lulu & I made a painting project for Chris' birthday & it involved Lulu's hands & feet in paint. I knew full well I would be covered in paint if I tried to bring her into the house to wash her off - so I took yesterday's hot weather as a sign it was time for Lulu's first backyard bath! Oh the adventures we have on Grant Street....
Happy Happy Lulu Bug 
The cutest


No comments:

Post a Comment