Lizzard Loves Blue Sky Snow Covered Vail

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Friday Recap 6/15/18 - Curry Chicken Salad, Parenting read, Pool time

Despite some of this week being cool, gray & foggy - I think summertime is here! I've had some late night/early morning time to do some thinking & reading about parenting this week, so that is a bit of a theme today!

1. "Be Careful"
Even before I came across this blog post, I realized I dislike the phrase "be careful" in parenting. It strikes me as too vague to be helpful & in constant use anyway. My hope for the Bug is to give her the space & skills so she can be smart, brave, good....which all lead to knowing her limits, stretching them and keeping herself safe while also leaving a lot of room for growth. This post made me do some more thinking about this and it made me realize how much I had already thought about it! I appreciate the writer's referencing research- not that others' opinions are valuable - but because it lends credibility to what feels right to me :)

2. Curry Chicken Salad


When we were visiting Marg & her family in CT, we bought adult snacks at the organic market near her house to take to the pool for a picnic lunch. Including in the delicious assortment was curry chicken salad. Lulu might have eaten a full 50% of the container! She's been excited about curry before - but this took it to a whole new level! It took me a bit of time, but I finally made her some yesterday. I used Ina Garten/The Barefoot Contessa's recipe which I made easier by using Costco rotisserie chicken (if you don't already buy Costco rotissserie chicken, you can do yourself a favor and start now. They cost $5 and someone else has seasoned & cooked it for you.....they are so damn easy. So damn tasty. Win win.) The only oddball ingredient that you likely don't have in your pantry is mango chutney - but she recommends a brand which I was easily able to add to this week's Instacart delivery (if you don't already use a grocery delivery service.......you can do yourself another favor & try one out! I've only used Instacart & Amazon Fresh, but the joy of not spending an hour plus of my summer days in a grocery store is worth every penny of added expense. In this case specifically - not having to wander the jam aisle, the international aisle, the "where the fuck is the mango chutney" aisle, and then wander even more trying to find a staff member to ask, all with the low grade stress of feeling like I'm missing out on minutes of backyard playtime, bike riding, dog walking........you can't put a price on that.)

3. Pool time

The cool May weather made for cold lake water at my parents' summer home....so my sister & I joined a local hotel's pool - since they have indoor & outdoor - it is a great sunny or rainy day activity! It is so fun to see the girls enjoy the water together - a lot of cousin love happening so far this summer!!

I'm so late on this post (given that it is now midday Tuesday...........) I'm going to leave it at 3! Hope you are all having a great week so far - stay dry if you are local!

No comments:

Post a Comment