Lizzard Loves Blue Sky Snow Covered Vail

Friday, June 22, 2018

Friday Round Up - 6/22/18- Boat rides, sibling time, garden progress, parenting article from NPR

Summer is in full swing! We had crazy heat & humidity last weekend - thankful we were at the lake & spent so much time in the water!

1. Boat Rides

Do you think Lulu enjoyed her first ride on the tube?!?


This year we replaced our 25+ year old lemon of a boat with a new to us used boat. 

It is glorious in that it has started every time we've gone to use it so far........except the 1st time - but it turns out there has been some new technology introduced on boats in the past couple decades & we didn't know the batteries needed to be turned to the "on" position.......now we know!


 I adore going out on the boat whether it is skiing/wakeboarding in the morning or cocktail cruising in the afternoon or forcing our 1 year old to ride the tube with us! I love it all. It is such a treat to have a reliable boat now!


Let's go swimming!



Lulu & Neva rocking their matching boat coats




2. Sibling Time

To expand on the above - I have lots of fond memories of time spent on the boat with Marg & GR. Now that we are all married with kids - there is not a time any of us can remember that we've been alone together! 

That changed Monday morning when we all woke up at 4:30 to head out on the boat at 4:45! Chris opted to go on a run by himself, Tara is in New York with the kids & her parents, and Kobi was home in Connecticut for work. So it left the 3 of us. 

It was a nice nostalgic 45 minutes together. We were the only boat out on the lake. It was technically illegal to start skiing before the 5:15am sunrise..........but didn't feel particularly unsafe given the lack of boats to potentially run us over :) It was a tiny walk down memory lane & was a lot of fun.
a bit bouncy for a panoramic photo on my phone ;)

3. Garden Progress

I planted a tomato seedling & a strawberry seedling a couple weeks ago & they both have their first flowers! Yay! Can't wait to see if we get any produce from these two plants.

4. Another parenting article
I guess I'm doing a bit of parenting reading on the interwebs this summer :) This article made a whole lot of sense to me. This section particularly 
"Two or three decades ago, children were roaming neighborhoods in mixed-age groups, playing pretty unsupervised or lightly supervised. They were able to resolve disputes, which they had a strong motivation to because they wanted to keep playing. They also planned their time and managed their games. They had a lot of autonomy, which also feeds self-esteem and mental health."
Chris & I were so happy with the neighborhood we found to call home. There are (very often) groups of neighborhood kids out & about - seeing who is home & who can come out to play - hopscotching between back & front yards on our block. I see all the parents pitching in to keep track of  the kids (as needed) and provide band aids or other care (again as needed). It feels like the families on our block tend to look out for the kiddos en masse - not just individually - it takes a village after all. 
I try to give Lulu space to take risks and do things for herself - because I see how exciting it is for her to master something. My heart also swells with pride when she figures something out without my help. I suppose being a good parent means making yourself obsolete, though my own parents are as vital to me now as they ever were - just in different ways. I rely on them for advice, counsel, emotional guidance, fun and companionship. Duh, love too. Always know that I am loved by them which has helped me to be a generally well adjusted adult :)

No comments:

Post a Comment