Lizzard Loves Blue Sky Snow Covered Vail

Friday, July 27, 2018

Friday Round Up 7/27/18 - Article to read, Ladybugs, Video to laugh at, Mom's 1st boat ride, Unexpected beauty, Cousin love

Happy Friday! Chris, the Bug & I are headed to Maryland to celebrate his parents' 50th (FIFTIETH!!!) wedding anniversary today. I hope you & yours have some fun summer travel or vacation plans coming up!

1. Burdens that other people are carrying
A quick read in the NY Times caught my attention this week while doing the scroll through social media. Maybe my social media scrolling isn't all bad if it leads to articles like this one that inspire kind, compassionate, big thoughts??? Its probably still mostly a giant waste of time - but I hope you enjoy reading the article. It is heavy, but that happens to be the point. How different would our country/state/city/neighborhood look and feel if we took a tiny sliver of energy to appreciate the great burdens other people around us carry? I would argue we might all be somewhat improved by such thoughts.

2. Ladybugs to the rescue

So last week I mentioned that we have an aphid problem on our milkweed plants. I tried aggressively spraying them with the hose - which helped a lot, but I didn't get them all. So I ordered 1500 live ladybugs on Amazon. Proving once again, you can buy literally anything on Amazon. Chris & I had a really fun time releasing the bugs onto the plants - Lulu was somewhat amused as well! Not too many stuck around past the 24 hour mark, I guess there are greener pastures for our bugs in the neighborhood. I'm so hoping that some laid eggs so we have some ongoing aphid control!

3. This video
Chris is into Ask Reddit, its his social media habit that sucks his time :) This video made all of his scrolling worth it. The belly laughing we both did was intense & awesome.

4. My Mom's 1st boat ride
Lulu was aggressively demanding another pretzel. It's hard to be one.
 Not her first boat ride ever, duh! But, her first boat ride on the new to us this summer boat! 
Working on her sea legs
Yay! It was a beautiful Sunday evening, perfect for a cocktail cruise! I also love that Chris wanted to drive for a bit - because driving the boat is not nearly as relaxing as sitting on one's butt whilst being driven around by someone else :)
Oh captain, my captain
The weekend's weather was a bit on the dreary side - so we were happy to take advantage of the clear skies & sunshine as the weekend was wrapping up. 

Those sea legs are slow in coming!
Thumbs up from Mom! Hooray!

5. Unexpected beauty

This beautiful yellow flower (is it a type of sunflower? would love to know!) is growing out of the gravel in our alley! Our landscaper laid down gravel to try to divert alley water to the sewer grate.......rather than into our backyard! 

My lovely neighbors pointed it out to me yesterday & then Chris told me about it too! What a delight.

6. Cousin love

I adore spending time with my siblings & siblings in law - it makes me so glad when our kiddos get to play together. Tara brought 3 of her 4 kiddos over for a delicious picnic & playdate this week. I love that the big kids were all over the baby pool fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment