Lizzard Loves Blue Sky Snow Covered Vail

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Irish Soda Bread

I love being Irish. I also love Irish Soda Bread.
Last night's final product - Irish Soda Bread
As it happens, I am baking some now.....(partly because this is the time of year that Chris gets home closer to midnight than 6pm. Thankfully for me, him, and our marriage- this is an abbreviated time of year!!) The more obvious reason that I'm baking this bread is that is abundantly delicious. I may have also baked a loaf last night. I like it that much!
So, St Patrick's Day is coming up, which is the most obvious reminder to make this delicious bread. I feel like this bread should be in my life year round. My preference is to use raisins along with whatever other dried fruit I have on hand. As is the case yesterday/today dried cherries have been making their way into my dough....delicious.

Chris & I were out & about on Saturday and I bought a "hunk of Irish Soda Bread" from a small bakery. We saved it for Sunday brunch at home and it was just so good. The crust was thick and crunchy and the center full of flavor and dried fruit. It served as a kick in the pants to bake some of my own! It also made me realize that my bread did not have the amazing crustiness of the bakery's. So, I did what anyone in my age range would, I googled "how to bake crusty bread" and promptly pinned the best response I found. :) How techie I have become! Here is the link; http://www.preparedpantry.com/howtobakecrustybreads.aspx 
Tonight's loaf- still baking!
So back to tonight; I have a pan of steaming water below the pizza stone I've been baking the bread on. (and yes- I realize I worked against myself by opening the oven to take the photo. Yes- steam escaped!)
 Last night's effort did indeed have a beautiful crust, so I went the same route again!
Does anyone else love this quick bread as much as I do? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment